Monday, August 9, 2010


Sheikh Abdul Aziz, born in 1952 A.D at Pampore Kashmir, after proper schooling, joined the resistance movement in 1972. He was arrested in 1973 for his pro-freedom stand and stance. The freedom zealot, after feeling humiliated, made up his mind to take up the gauntlit and continue to tread the thorny path of resistance with conviction, resolve and volition characteristics of an uncompromising resilient revolutionary. As a senior stalwart of Peoples League, with proclivity and disposition to subjectivity in self-assertion and objectivity in strategic manoeuvre and march, joined the armed resistance movement in 1990 when vitriolic and energetic young revolutionaries like Ashfaq Majeed Wani and others, who were in twenties then, created a situation where almost all the senior stalwarts of political resistance movement felt convinced that armed resistance had indispensably become paramount as an effective alternative course of resistance against the Indian forces of occupation. Thus Al-Jehad was the militant outfit which Sheikh Aziz spearheaded with determination of a genuine Mujahid. After receiving proper training in Pakistan he returned to Kashmir valley to lead the armed resistance forces in his own style.Sheikh Aziz was arrested in 1992 and after his release in 2000 A.D he got a chance to visit Pakistan as senior political resistance leader, where he literally kissed the soil of Pakistan after alighting from the aeroplane in Lahore. On his return to Kashmir valley he was again put behind the bars for his intractability as resistance leader.In 2008, Kashmiris launched a vehement and vigorous anti-India movement when rumours were rife that India had decided to ensure that South Kashmir be swarmed with a million Sadhus (who would become the custodians of Amaranth Cave). By way of political backlash and whiplash the fanatic Hindus of Jammu felt instigated and fulminated in a such way that they literally imposed trade embargo on Kashmir to strangulate it economically. Kashmiri trucks were looted and burnt; and truck drivers were assaulted. In such a situation sensitive Sheikh Aziz felt traumatized and he became serious in his revolutionary thinking to break the deadlock and show the path of salvation. On Aug. 6, 2008 all the leaders of APHC headed by Mirwaiz Umar Farooq assembled in Hurriyat head office Rajbagh to discuss the situation created by trade blockade of the Jammu chauvinists. Sheikh Aziz Saheb liked to sit beside me on the left flank of the Chairman (Mirwaiz Umar Farooq) to exchange pleasantries with me. He was all ears when I, in my historic address as a member of Hurriyat shoora (the general council as it was called then), emphasized that should be adopted as policy slogan to break the blockade and pave the way for reunification of two parts of Kashmir. At 4 P.M Mirwaiz Umar Farooq Saheb addressed a press conference and, while dwelling on the economic-blockade issue in a discursive tone and accent, said, “well, if the people of two and half districts of Jammu want to carve out a”Dogra-desh” for themselves we have no objection.” objection.” Umar Farooq, by way of a part of future programme introduced the slogans:
On Aug. 11, 2008 Kashmir Witnessed a historical and momentous spectacle of unity of resistance forces when, by way of abreaction and catharsis, freedom sentiments got exuded and elicited in the form of highly emotionalized and resolute procession of revolutionaries of Sopore spearheaded by the stalwarts like Sheikh Ab. Aziz, Shabir Ahmad Shah, Saif-ullah etc. The valiant and chivalrous processionists while facing and overcoming the obstacles created by the Indian authorities, succeeded in reaching Chahla Uri (the Kashmir Karbala as I call it). Where they displayed their freedom sentiments in a peaceful democratic style. Indian forces including the notorious Kashmir SOG, in a fit of arrogance and intoxication opened fire killing a dozen freedom zealots and injuring about hundred of them.

Sheikh Aziz Saheb, who was on the forefront like his colleagues Shabbir Ahmad Shah and Saif-ullah and others, got injured seriously. Wounded leader was immediately removed to Srinagar hospital where he breathed his last and became a martyr. On Aug. 12, 2008 over a lakh people assembled at Eidgah Srinagar for Nimaz-e-jinaza. All the resistance leaders, barring ailing humble self, including senior leaders Syed Ali Geelani, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq, Moulvi Abbas Ansari, Fazal Haq Qureshi were present and paid tribute to the slain leader. Sheikh Aziz was martyred on Monday- Aug. 11, 2009 (Shai’ ban 9, 1429 A.H-the day when prophet Muhammad (PBHU) prioritized eternal rest.) The exasperated emotional youth, while the obsequies were being completed, roused patriotic feelings and emotions of the mourning multitude through pathetic epicedium. On Aug. 12, 2008 the agitating youth restored to violent paroxysmal activities and in the melee 22 freedom zealots got martyred and hundreds of them were wounded in the valley. Thousands of furiously agitated youth called at the residence of Syed Ali Geelani and Mirwaiz Umar Farooq. The two leaders felt emboldened and therefore mustered up courage to accompany the exacerbated and anguished youth in their march towards Eidgah to defy the curfew and literally demolish and obliterate the bunkers of Indian forces. Nayeem Ahmad Khan and Shabbir Ahmad Shah were released from captivity a day after. The co-ordination committee representing S.A Geelani and Mirwaiz Umar Farooq suggested using of one flag only with the emblem . On Aug. 16, 2008 about three lakh people marched to Pampore to express solidarity with the bereaved family of sheikh Aziz. In the morning of Aug. 16, 2008 I, along with my Mahaz activists including Meer Iqbal, boarded a vehicle on the top of which the green flag with the monogram remained fluttering; we condoled with the family members of martyr Sheikh Aziz at their residence. Then after we attended the condolence congregation of mourning people at Eidgah Pampore. On the platform I sat beside Fazal-ul-Haq Qureshi, Mohd. Hassan (Ameer Jamaat-e-Islami), Moulvi Abbas Ansari, Late Prof. Sheikh Gh. Muhammad. Syed Ali Geelani, Mirwaiz Umer Farooq, Nayeem Ahmad Khan, Shabbir Ahmad Shah and others addressed the grand audience. In the stampede the improvised platform collapsed; elderly leaders felt strangled and suffocated. Meer Rasheed, a robust student of mine, retrieved me from the situation.
Progeny will remember martyr Sheikh Aziz with love and respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment